What does a designer need to know when asked by an owner to design an energy-efficient building?
Engineers look to International Green Construction Code, ASHRAE Standard 189.1: Standard for the Design of High-Performance Green Buildings, U.S. Green Building Council, Energy Star and ASHRAE Standard 90.1: Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings for guidance on how to design more energy-efficient buildings.
Some key trends have changed the focus of energy efficiency for commercial buildings:
- Demand-side energy management programs.
- Battery storage.
- Energy quality and reliability.
- Smart/intelligent buildings.
- Define the codes, standards and guidelines that engineers must consider when working toward energy-efficiency goals in nonresidential buildings.
- Understand what technologies, products and systems can help achieve energy-efficiency goals.
- Learn about new trends and techniques to achieve the owner’s project requirements.
- Review examples of energy-efficient buildings, with a close look at the specific techniques used to achieve higher efficiency.