Motors and drives: Sizing and repairs
August 22, 2023
Appropriate sizing and selection of motors and drives have significant impacts on maintenance. Implemented properly, electric motors are a cost-effective and reliable method to create motion and force in varying ways and levels. Improperly sized motors will be inefficient and can cause operational and maintenance problems.
Keeping motors in good repair maintains reliability and efficiency over time. Drives must be properly chosen to fit the applications and can improve energy efficiency and reliability. Matching drives to centrifugal pumps, for example, includes depends on pump size and design, as well as the attributes of the drive.
- Learn how motor sizing affects efficiency and maintenance.
- Understand motor repair processes and how they affect motor efficiency and reliability.
- Review repair best practices to maintain or improve efficiency, including dealing with wet or flooded motors.
- Review drive selection, which requires understanding the application, such as fans, pumps, motors and conveyors, and maintenance.
- Discover how built-in drive features should influence selection.
Understand system curves that explain how to right-size pumps with variable speed drives, including flow control: throttling vs. speed control.